Dementia is a health condition that many of us might face at some point. People all over the world have asked, “How can I prevent dementia?” Though researchers found that up to 65% of your risk for dementia is determined by factors you can’t change, like age and genetics, you can get plenty of help to stave off the remaining 35%. For instance, you can exercise regularly, join a senior living program, and start taking vitamin supplements. Here are a few common but powerful vitamins and minerals that can help fight dementia.
Vitamin C doesn’t just help you fight the common cold, but it can help your brain’s neurotransmitters too. Research has found that between people with Alzheimer’s and those without any memory problems, the former often have a higher vitamin C deficiency. Other than Vitamin C supplements, you can also increase your intake of this essential vitamin through fruits like oranges and strawberries, and vegetables like broccoli and cabbage.
Vitamins B6 and B12
Vitamins B6 and B12 are the perfect pair to protect your memory! Recent studies show that the lack of vitamin B6 and B12 makes certain genes in our bodies more active, leading to cognitive decline and memory degeneration. To load up on these vitamins, have a full and healthy breakfast every day – cereal, yogurt, waffles, or eggs are rich in vitamin B. Additionally, be sure to have some dairy, like cottage cheese and Swiss cheese regularly. And don’t forget your seafood! Tuna has up to 53% of our daily Vitamin B6 needs, while salmon and trout contain over 100% of our daily Vitamin B12!
Like Vitamin C, a deficiency in Vitamin D may put you at risk for developing dementia. In fact, research shows that a severe lack of Vitamin D increases the risk of dementia by 48% and Alzheimer’s by 51%! Other than that, Vitamin D deficiencies can affect our physical health too, leading to increased risk of developing bone disease and fractures, infections, and autoimmune disease. Thus, it’s particularly important to have sufficient Vitamin D every day. Other than having some good old fun in the sun, you can find Vitamin D in cod liver oil supplements and sliced white mushrooms.
Phosphatidylserine and Phosphatidylcholine
Phosphatidylserine and phosphatidylcholine may sound similar, but they are actually two different minerals that help prevent dementia. They are naturally found in cell membranes and play a role in signaling pathways for cell communication. They also help protect your nerve cells from further degeneration. You can boost your intake of these minerals by eating eggs, beef liver, soy, and quinoa.
Healthy Meals at Blue Ridge By Discovery Senior Living
At Blue Ridge, our SHINE® Memory Care program is a nationally-recognized option for residents living with dementia and Alzheimer’s. With our long track record of excellent memory care, we go above and beyond to care for you or your loved ones. Our restaurant-style dining offers a wide selection of meals that are chock full of all the essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients that your loved one needs. We warmly invite you to visit our scenic community to discover life at Blue Ridge. Get in touch with us today!