The importance of occupational therapy for loved ones will be explored here. OT, or occupational therapy, should not be confused with PT, or physical therapy. For the individual’s recovery, each has a specific goal and purpose. They are separate healing disciplines.
Would you like to see your loved one’s quality of life enhanced? Could the way they carry out important life functions be improved upon? If you answered yes to either of these questions, it could be time to consider occupational therapy.
Functional Daily Living Activities Can Be Restored
To strengthen and stabilize certain parts of the body, exercise is used for physical therapy. But, functional activities that need to be performed by adults and are highly crucial to their lifestyle may need a little assistance. This is where Occupational Therapy comes in. It can help them function to their absolute best ability, assist them in renewing a purpose in life as well as enjoyment, and more. This can apply to a number of things whether it’s performing specific work-related tasks, climbing stairs, playing golf, gardening, or something else entirely.
Occupational Therapy and its Benefits
The benefits of occupational therapy are varied and many, indeed. Overall, it improves the life of an older adult in a number of ways. Here are some examples:
- Caregiver assistance – Whether the caregiver for your loved one is a professional or you, occupational therapists can help your loved one become more independent and, therefore, give caregivers a bit of a break.
- Self-care improvement – If managing important financial information or personal hygiene has become difficult for your loved one, occupational therapy can help improve an older adult’s self-care
- Living spaces are safer – To make a more functional, safer living environment, modifications may need to take place. Occupational therapists can be of assistance here.
- Fall prevention – To help your loved one remain active but also assist in avoiding falls and slips, identifying preventative steps will be easier with an occupational therapist.
- Better emotional well-being – Occupational therapists, to assist your loved one beyond possible dysfunctions, can help provide emotional support.
- Physical health improvement – To lead a more engaged lifestyle, and promote your loved one’s well-being and health, they may be able to remain more active with the assistance of occupational therapy.
- When performing daily tasks, overcome obstacles – Whether it’s cooking and other daily routine tasks or a game of golf, whatever challenges your loved one is facing can possibly be overcome through the assistance of occupational therapy.
Providing The Assistance Your Loved One Needs at Blue Ridge
Both you and your loved one can enjoy better peace of mind knowing there is always someone near when they need them at Blue Ridge Assisted Living and Memory Care community. If the above-stated occupational therapy information sounds like something your loved one could benefit from, you both may choose to opt for assisted living. This way, there will always be assistance provided by the 24/7 monitoring by professional caregivers.
There are, in fact, numerous amenities and perks to residing in our community. Contact us today if you’d like to find out more or, better yet, schedule a tour.